Gluten-Free Chai Pumpkin Bars Recipe
by Dr. Bill Rawls | November 16, 2015
My favorite part of the holidays is getting to share delicious food with the people I care about — but that’s not an excuse to put your health on hold.
Next time you attend a holiday potluck, consider bringing these vegan, gluten-free chai pumpkin bars as a dessert. As a bonus, they don’t require any baking!
For additional tips on staying healthy during the holidays, check out this blog post.
- ½ cup old-fashioned gluten-free oats
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cups pitted dates, chopped, plus more as needed
- 1½ cups pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp cardamom
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
1. Line an 8″x8″ baking pan with parchment paper so you can lift the bars out for cutting.
2. To prepare the crust, place the oats, pumpkin seeds, coconut, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add 2/3 cup dates and process until well combined and sticky. The mixture may look crumbly, but it should hold together when pinched between your fingers. If necessary, add more dates to get the right consistency.
3. Press the dough firmly and evenly into the baking pan. Place the pan in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
4. To make the filling, combine the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, salt, and spices in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add the coconut flour and blend until well combined. Adjust sweetener if desired.
5. Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the filling on top, spreading it out evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
6. Lift the bars out of the pan using the parchment paper edges. Use a chef’s knife to cut the bars, wiping the knife clean between cuts. Dust with cinnamon or sprinkle coconut flakes for decoration. Serve chilled. Enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from The Kitchn and is Vital Plan approved!