Looking for a refreshing& healthy summer entree that everyone is sure to love? Lettuce wraps are an easy, low carb lunch or dinner option with endless healthy ingredient combinations.
There are a wide variety of ingredients that will go together in lettuce wraps, so you don’t need to go on an expedition to make this dish work. The only required ingredient is the lettuce! You can use any kind, as long as it is large enough to hold the ingredients taco style. Here are just a few suggestions to try out, but get creative with your lettuce wraps and use what you have on hand!
- Chicken, fish, other good protein sources (sub. tofu for a vegetarian option)
- Thinly sliced fresh vegetables like avocado, cucumber, carrots, and bell peppers
- Crushed peanuts
- Scallions, chopped
- Water chestnut, minced
- Cabbage, finely chopped
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Rice chips (lightly crushed) for a crunch
1) Prepare your protein by grilling or searing in a pan with sesame oil, soy sauce , garlic and ginger. Curry or teriyaki sauce will also work if you have them on hand.
2) After preparing the protein, chop it finely or grind in a food processor.
3) Carefully separate the lettuce leaves, then wash and pat dry with a paper towel. Do not chop lettuce, instead leave as a “wrap” or “scoop” (like a taco). Any type of leaf lettuce will do! Romaine, iceberg, Bibb – if you can use it as a wrap, then it will work.
4) For condiments try any combination of these: peanut sauce, teriyaki sauce, hot mustard, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, red chili paste, sweet basil dressing
5) Serve ingredients buffet-style on the table with leaves of lettuce as the “wraps.” Time to get creative and experiment with different combinations! Enjoy!